QR codes have come a long way since they were first introduced in the early 1990s. Initially used for tracking parts in automotive manufacturing, we now commonly use QR codes (quick response codes) for a variety of marketing purposes now.
QR codes are everywhere. You can find them on products, in magazines, on posters, on web pages, and even on television. QR codes have become an essential part of the marketing strategy for many businesses. But what many people don't know is that QR codes can also be used for gamification marketing.
What are QR codes and how do they work?
A QR code is a two-dimensional barcode made up of black and white squares that can be read by QR scanners and mobile devices such as smartphones. QR codes can store a variety of information, including text, URLs, and other data.
To read a QR code, you simply need to download a QR scanner camera app on your smartphone. However, most smartphones these days already have the technology built into their phone camera.
Once you have the app installed, you can point your phone's camera at the matrix barcode and the app will decode the information stored in the QR code.
Using a QR code is a better marketing strategy for sharing information with users. They are also an easy way for customers to find out more about your products or services.
How have QR codes transformed marketing?
Using a unique QR code in digital marketing has revolutionised the way
marketing material is shared with viewers and has made it possible for businesses to connect with new customers in an innovative way.
QR code marketing has made it possible to:
- Reach a wider audience: QR codes can be scanned by anyone with a QR scanner app on their smartphone. This means that businesses can reach a wider audience with their QR code campaigns.
- Engage customers: QR codes are an interactive way to engage customers. By scanning a QR code, customers can learn more about your products or services and even get exclusive offers and discounts.
- Increase sales: When you add QR codes to a campaign, they can be used to increase conversion rates by offering special deals and discounts to customers who scan them.
The benefits of using QR codes in gamification marketing
Adding QR codes to a gamification campaign is a great way to engage potential customers. Gamification is the use of game mechanics and elements in non-game contexts to engage users and motivate them to achieve their goals.
QR codes can be used to gamify the customer experience by offering customers rewards for scanning QR codes. For example, businesses can offer discounts or coupons to customers who scan QR codes. This will lead customers to your desired landing page which will help them learn more about your products or services.
QR code campaigns can also be used to increase customer loyalty and engagement. For example, businesses can offer loyalty points or rewards to customers for QR code usage. This will encourage customers to keep coming back and scan in more often.
Examples of how QR codes have been used in gamification marketing
The digital marketing industry has used dynamic QR codes in a variety of gamification campaigns. Here are just a few examples of how they can be deployed as an effective marketing tool:
- McDonald’s Contactless Contact Tracing Dine-in Campaign: To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, contactless dining measures were deployed across McDonald’s. The use of the QR code campaign allows their customers and staff to maintain contact-free interaction with each other and still access fast food.
- Netflix's Gilmore Girls promotion: With the release of the Gilmore Girls reboot on Netflix, the streaming platform incorporated digital marketing into its guerilla marketing campaign. They printed static QR codes on 10,000 coffee cups, which led to a million views of Gilmore Girls-inspired photo filters.
- Burger King/VMAs competition: The 2020 MTV VMAs had viewers watching from the comfort of their homes due to COVID restrictions. Burger King partnered with Lil Yachty to offer viewers free Whopper burgers for a year and 2021 VMAs tickets as giveaways with the use of QR codes being displayed mid-performance.
These are just a few examples of how companies can utilise QR codes in gamification marketing.
Tips for using QR codes in gamification marketing
If you're looking to use QR codes in gamification marketing, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Make sure your QR code is visible and easy to access.
- Offer something of value to the many consumers who scan your QR code. This could be discounts, coupon codes, or loyalty points.
- Make sure the QR code doesn't just direct customers to a landing page but also provides a prompt to increase customer engagement.
So there you have it, a crash course on how QR codes work! We hope that this has inspired you to add a QR code to your next gamification campaign.
If you’re looking for more tips or want to see some great examples of how they can be used, check out our other blogs where we go over best practises and give real-world examples. As always, happy marketing!